Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 19:20:25 -0400
I know this is a bit off topic, BIG, but I'd like to remind people to
regularly scan their computers for viruses, worms, etc--there's one worm
going around now that sends neo-Nazi garbage out, but it won't send it
from your own address (because then you'd know it was happening from
the angry emails you received in reply and clean your system) but rather
supply a reply-to address of somebody in your address book.  I'm pretty
sure somebody in the ferret community is infected with this particular
worm because I am getting tons of bouncebacks of emails I certainly
never sent containing neo-Nazi progaganda, and some of them are from
ferret-related domains (including one from the CUNY postmaster).  Not
only is it annoying to have my inbox occasionally filled with these
bouncebacks, but it's pretty repugnant to know that your name is out
there being associated with something like that.  So please, everybody,
keep your computers clean--it's not just you that this stuff can affect!

Thanks,
Regina

Regina Harrison  [log in to unmask]
http://users.rcn.com/badriya/
blog: http://badriya-z.blogspot.com/

"Is that my business?  Well, what is my business?  Do I know?  Did I ever
know?  Let's not go into that.  You re not human tonight, Marlowe.  Maybe
I never was or ever will be... Maybe we all get like this in the cold
half-lit world where always the wrong thing happens and never the right."
--Raymond Chandler, The Little Sister

[Moderator's note: Yes, there are definitely some FML people infected.
I've received hundreds, many of them from ferret-related addresses.  A
few even got sent to the list itself (of course they were edited out).
Remember though, the FML is plain text with no attachments so you never
can "catch" a virus from reading it.  BIG]