From:
Lindsey Breed Tootle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2013 09:35:58 -0500
There is an antigen test for heart worm. However, ferrets typically do
not have enough heart worms to be able to detect the protein they shed
into the bloodstream. My foster had several in her heart. I saw this
through ultrasound. This is the only way to detect true and accurate
confirmation of heart worm in ferrets. The American Heart Worm Society
states on their website that heart worm is found in all states now
along with mosquitoes being found in every state - no matter how
cool/cold etc.

In cases where there is sudden, unexpected death of a ferret, heart
worm should be considered and would be found in necropsy (autopsy).
Proheart5 is the treatment for heart worm in ferrets. The fear of
treatment has been that once the heart worms have died they would
block/clog the tiny heart valves. This is not always true in every
case. Since I did not know my foster had heart worm I did dose her
with Revolution monthly without death as the result.

The definitive test for heart worm in ferrets remains ultrasound.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

The American Heart Worm society recommends preventative treatment
12 months out of the year/year round.

Sincerely,
Lindsey Tootle