From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 11:10:11 -0500
I received a call at 6:30 one evening.  A man had found an aquarium in his
back yard with 2 ferrets in it... and filled with rain water.  The ferrets
were climbing on and over each other to get out but there was a screen top
on it.  He didn't know how they got there or how long they'd been there.  He
did have a kennel carrier so I asked him to place a towel in it and put the
ferrets in the carrier until I got there (20 minute drive from my home)
which he agreed to do.  When I got there he met me at the curb and said the
owner came by and took his ferret mumbling something about a friend was
suppose to be watching them..  Notice the singular?  One of the ferrets had
died and the owner threw it in the trash.  With tears in my eyes I retrieved
the dead ferret and took her home.  She was covered in mush.  I gently
washed her and then buried her where the others were who had passed on
before her.

Please don't keep your ferrets in aquariums, they are not suitable housing
for ferrets.  They are not made for ferrets.  They do not allow enough
ventilation or temperature control.  The glass will allow bacteria to grow
and can infect ferrets.  They are trapped with the smells from their urine
and feces which is unhealthy.  The space is entirely too limited.  And they
can be deadly.

Hugs to all.  tle