From:
"Amy C. Dempsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 13:27:06 -0700
The de-clawing issue I think has gotten out of hand.  I for one think no
animal (ferrets, cats, etc.) should ever be de-clawed.  The animals have
claws to protect themselves, feed, etc.  And certainly they don't really
need them if they are in our care.  However accidents do happen, a ferret
gets loose, a dog gets in the house,..  and they may need them to survive.
Unfortunately some people feel that in order to keep their pet in the house
they need to de-claw animals.  I would rather see an animal be de-clawed
than disowned.  And most declawings do not mutilate the toes(even though I
have a cat at home (the girl I live with had her de-clawed 10 years before I
met her) who has problems with re-growth of deformed claws all the time.
Believe me I give her hell all the time for ever having it done.  But we
shouldn't blast vets who do it.  I've never had a vet ask me if I want any
of mine declawed!  I would rather see a good vet do the de-clawing than have
a bad vet injure the animal.

Now on a less touchy subject, I had a mongoose as a pet for a while.  (I
live in the Virgin Islands) A lady was leaving island several years ago and
gave me her two ferrets and then as an after though asked if I would like a
mongoose.  I said "why not".  Gizmo was a beautiful tiny thing that bit you
so hard she drew blood.  Of course she had been kept her whole life (2
years) in a wooden box with only the top open.  Her little front legs were
turned in because she was never allowed to run around.  Well, needless to
say the first thing I did was give her the run of the house like the
ferrets.  After about a week she and the ferrets began to play and she
became very curious about me, and how come the ferrets wanted me to pick
them up.  Finally she would run up and ask to be picked up too.  Of course
at first she would freak and want right back down.  Then she discovered
petting.  That was the end, especially when she discovered she could sit in
your lap.  I have never had such a lap pet.  If you wouldn't sit down she
would climb your leg and hold on to your belt or waist band.  Everything was
wonderful until the day she started marking.  She'd pee on your foot,on your
lap, everywhere!  I also noticed she started watching the wild mongoose
outside all the time.  So one day I opened the door and she took a tenative
step out.  For along time she was part time inside part time outside until
she had her first litter of kits.  I feed her and her crew of about 20 wild
mongoose everyday, she still runs to see me, but never wants to come in any
more.  Gizmo's little front legs straighten out some but she's very
distinctive.  She's got some of wild ones coming right up to me too, and
yesterday I petted a young male.  She's a great outside pet!  I'll keep my
ferrets inside and my mongoose out.  All I can say is that I am thankful
she didn't teach my ferrets her marking technique.

Amy and her 12 fur snakes.