From:
"S.Hewett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:25:10 +0800
>i got to thinking the bladder slides out leaving a empty box thats
>nice and dark with a hole that a ferret can fit in real nice. anyone
>see any problems with this we dont seem to have any problems with
>bugs and this boxes.

Those boxes sound great. There is only one caution I'd like to add.

A friend of mine made 3 beautiful wooden sleeping cabins for me with
lids that could open for cleaning and a round hole in the front for the
ferrets to go in and out. Perfect, one would think.

The trouble was that a few ferrets would get in each cabin, one ferret
would get too hot and lie half in and half out of the hole. The next
ferret that needed to leave would get stuck trying to get past the
ferret in the hole. One was stuck at his neck while trying to get out,
so I had to go to plan B.

Currently, I have removed the lids of the cabins and just rest them
sideways on the top. It does make the cabins safe but defeats the
purpose of giving the ferrets a dark place. Even enlarging the hole
would just mean that more ferrets could lie half in and half out of
the cabin.

What I hope to do in the future is to enlarge the hole or remove the
entire front of each cabin and make make an expandable entry with
material and elastic. I haven't figured out exactly how yet, but it
may come to me if I dwell on it for long enough.

I guess with your boxes being made of cardboard, or if you don't have
multiple ferrets, this problem may not occur, but it's just a thought.

Cheers,
Shirley