From:
Kat Curran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 18:55:49 -0700
Hello Chris & FML!

I'm actually surprised not more people responded to this post.  But, I just
HAD to respond to this one as I have a 5 year old son and a 4 month old son
here at home.  This is not to flame, just to defend those of us with both
ferrets and small-hyper-humans/trolls that live happily & peacefully all
together.

I got my first ferret Sebastian on Mothers Day 2000, and never once have
I had a problem with my oldest son and Sebastian.  Or my 4 month old with
any of the little guys in the house for that matter.

My oldest son was brought up with animals and has always loved them and
treated them with care as I've taught him they are fragile and meant to
be loved for the time they are here with us.

Even when we got Sampson, which is an older ferret and not as active as
Sebastian, my son treated him like gold.  He loves them.

They all play together but, my son knows they are small and that he needs
to be careful when he plays with them.

Sebastian is a little more playful than Sampson and likes to be played
with rough.  And by rough I mean he likes to be twirled in a circle on the
hardwood floor belly down (which we all participate in), dook, war dance
and rough-house like any young fert.  He's never once been injured or even
stepped on.

We also have a small dog in the house now, a long haired chihuahua.  And
the boys (Sebastian & Sampson) pick on him on a regular basis.  But none
of the behavior is meant to be nasty, they are all just playing.

The only injuries that could have ever came was when we first got Sebastian
and I had to teach him not to nip and bite.  We all got bit, and on the
back of our ankles was the worst of it.  My 5 year old son never once bit
Sebastian.  (smile) Maybe before letting your ferrets out in the future,
you should ask the children if they've ever seen a ferret.  Then go and get
Logan or Leeloo and let the kids pet them before letting the chaos begin.

When I have other children over that want to touch and play with the
ferrets I will let them hold them ONLY when they are sitting on the couch
or the floor.  Just as a safeguard for my boys.  I've never had a problem.

I have to say that I do believe that not all people that have
small-hyper-humans/trolls should have ferrets or vice-versa as the case may
be.  It depends on the kids (forgive me but, I prefer that term to trolls).

Thank you for letting me reply to this.  This is just in defense of those
of us with children, ferrets, and/or other small animals that live together
happily and with lots of love.

~Kat & My Family
PS~ I wanted to know if the person who posted the 'Hostage negotiations'
about the ferret could post it again or send it to me, I thought that was
adorable!  Thanx!