From:
"Whitten, Carrie L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 13:07:01 -0600
I have a little guy who looks like he's on his death bed but acts perfectly
normal (well, as normal as ferrets get).  For the past month and a half he
has been losing the hair off his back.  It started on his hind haunches and
is slowly progressing forward and onto his tail.  There is no apparent hair
loss on his legs or belly.  This is a gradual hair loss and I don't see a
day to day change only weekly (or so).  There is no signs of irritation or
anything on the skin.  There are however, small brown specks on the skin.  I
look as though is coming from some of the hair follicles.  There has been no
change is his behavior or feeding habits.  Last week I took him to the vet
and had blood work done.  From the results, the vet could not see any major
problems or signs of disease.  The only problem was his white blood cell
count was low, around 3500.  The vet said normal was around 6000.  The vet
suggested waiting a week and running another blood test.  After that, she is
at a loss and said that she would consult the University of
Wisconsin-Madison Vet school.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be wrong or any sources of
information that might help?  Please contact [log in to unmask]

Thanks,
CARRIE

PS- If anyone is looking for a good vet in the Stevens Point, WI area,
See DR. Scott at Oakview Pet Hospital in Plover.