From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 07:49:17 -0700
Yesterday, Marguerite wrote:
>If anyone would like to sponsor these guys for shots and ADV testing
>($35.00/ferret) or better yet, check out our web page for wonderful
>ferret related items.  Everytime you purchase from us, you help the
>ferrets in our shelter.

Marguerite,

Do you do your own ADV testing and vaccinations or do you rely on a vet
to do these basics?

At $35 per ferret, that is $210 of very precious shelter funds for very
basic care for your 6 ferret intake.

ADV testing can be done for around $10 per ferret if you send in
multiples to United Vaccine, slightly more for the POCT from Avecon.
Roughly $60 for ADV testing.  Buy your year's supply if you use POCT
at one time to get the best pricing break.

Vaccine, depending upon manufacturer, will run as little as <$3.00
per vaccination, including syring, if you use GalaxyD which has a long
history of effectiveness despite not being USDA approved, up to $8 per
vaccination if you purchase Purevax from your vet (if/when you can even
get it).  Since Purevax is not available currently, I am going to use
the GalaxyD for calculations.

You have two youngsters that will require a series of two ($3 x 2 ferrets
x series of 2 shots = $12.00) The other 4 ferrets are older, needing only
one dose ($3 x 4 ferrets= $12.00) The ferrets could be vaccinated for
$24, plus the ADV testing, $60, for a total of $84 versus $210.

As shelters or multiferret owners, it is important to learn to do the
basics to hold costs down.  If these are not skills you have, they can be
learned very easily.  Your fundraising dollars would do so much more.

[JY]