From:
Todd Cromwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 22:40:13 -0700
Kymberlie,

Thank you for your post on and warnings about not caging ferrets.  I think
your objections are worth considering, and the danger situations you mention
along with others are well worth taking seriously.

I don't agree with your conclusion and the strength with which it is
expressed, however.  I think there are several positive aspects to
non-caging of ferrets.

1 - You said "it's no healthier for your ferrets to be not be caged part of
the time; in fact, it's much worse".  While many on this list might keep
their fuzzies' cages spotless, I have seen before ferrets being kept in
filthy cages, the bottoms of which are littered and smeared with feces,
mixed with food, etc.  Since my ferrets do not eat, sleep, or live right
next to their feces, I believe I am doing at least as well if not better in
this respect than cage-fanciers.  Many ferret owners may not be as
conscientious as those on this list.  Also, they can run around when I am
sleeping or away, so they may not get as fat as they might otherwise (though
Seldon has been known to be a lardbutt).

2 - My ferrets have always been very amenable to holding and cuddling.
While much of this is due to gentle treatment and great attention, I believe
some of it is that they are out all the time and go where they want when
they want, so they are not all over the place, squirmy, and hyperactive
(well, more hyperactive) when they finally are let out from a cage.
Everyone I meet at the park (and I meet about 30 a week) is AMAZED at how my
ferrets don't mind (and Dors loves) being held.

3 - I suspect ferrets do not play much when in a cage.  They will play in a
room or several rooms.

4 - My ferrets are very good indeed at using the litter box.  It's quite
easy to use them when you don't have to clamber into a cage or over tricky
steps or floors, but rather just walk a few steps.

5 - There are hazards even in cages.  In a cage, you can get your penis
stuck between the bars (and this time I say this, I stress: I don't mean
MINE).

6 - Nothing like sleeping with your ferrets.  And, they like it too.  Life
is bliss.

7 - Those who are new to ferrets or get Jeans' book (which talks about
caging as if there is no choice) may get busy and not play with their
fuzzbutts much or take them out often if the fuzzies are off in a cage.
Mine are housepets and at any time crawl up on the couch and see what I am
doing, or cuddle with me and watch tv (Dors likes the nature shows).

I suggest that a good compromise (and this is what I tell ferret newbies) is
to allocate a room of the house to the fuzzies for keeping when you are
away.

It has worked well for me for 5 years to keep them in several rooms at all
times, and I can remember only one or two life-threatening moments because
of it (and I suspect most of us have had that experience).  Kimberlie, I
respect your experiences and judgement, but my weighing of the factors you
mention results in a different conclusion.  I do actively ferretproof and
hope keenly that such 'proofing will never fall short, and that I will never
have a break-in or emergency and fail to locate them, etc.  I won't say it
will never happen, but I try very hard to make a safe environment, and my
ferrets are very happy and well looked after.

Todd Cromwell (Dors and Seldon)