Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2012 13:54:16 -0700
My Freya died sudden and unexpectedly in the early morning hours on
9/7/2012. She had a second adrenal surgery on 9/5. I brought her
home on 9/6. But within a few hours at home, Freya's condition began
deteriorating quickly. My husband and I rushed her back to the vet. The
staff kept the clinic open passed closing time until we got there. They
immediately tried to get Freya stabilize until our wonderful vet, Dr.
Bob, arrived at the clinic. He believed she may have developed blood
clots and took Freya home with him so he monitor her condition. He
called about 5:40 am on 9/7 to tell me Freya had passed away. I found
out later that Dr. Bob was very upset with Freya's death because he
believed she was going to pull through. Dr. Bob is not one to give up
on any critter. He does everything he can in hopes with providing them
a longer and better quality of life. I would not trade him--or his
staff--for the world.

I have lost many ferrets over the years. However, Freya's passing has
been a little more difficult to bear. I find myself second-guessing my
decision about Freya's surgery. I could have elected not to put her
through another surgery. But I felt if she did not have the surgery,
I would be shortening her life as well as reducing the quality of her
life.

A week ago, I had a happy, wild and crazy ferret. This week, she is
gone. Yesterday, I found her new hidey hole and pulled out a half dozen
of bean bag critters she loved to stash. I am still looking for a few
of them that I know were her favorites. She hid them very well :).

I am comforted by the fact Freya was reunited with her sister, Siduri,
at the Rainbow Bridge. The two of them were beautiful sable girls who
had been together since the day they were born, until Siduri died 2
years ago. Freya was the runt of the litter. What she lacked in size,
she made up with attitude!! The day of her surgery, she gave me kisses
then bit me on the lip. That was my Freya.

I still have two rumbustious ferret girls, Nonnie and Mony, who keep
me focused and laughing at their antics.

So, Bridge Greeter, if you see a beautiful, petite sable girl with
attitude and a perpetual baby ferret face, trying to stash a bean bag
critter, it is probably my Freya.

Thanks for stopping by, Freya. Rest in peace my wild child.