From:
Kristin McCarthy-Bevia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:23:43 -0400
Hi,

I'm writing to ask if anyone has a suggestion for a good cage to buy for
my two ferrets.  I've gone on ferretstore.com and some other places to
look at things, but thought it would make sense to get the opinions of
fellow ferret owners on what size cage works best for two fur buddies.

Here's the scoop: Unfortunately, I've had to start caging my two boys
quite a bit during the day.  I'm expecting a baby and "their" room has
been converted to the baby's room, which means the ferrets are out in
the living room in a cage for a good part of the day.  (In fact, I wrote
about a month ago because I was very torn up about the whole thing and
wasn't sure whether I should keep them given their current living
conditions.  I just wanted to thank everyone again who wrote me with
advice.  I'm definitely holding on to my fur babies.) I've been letting
them out in the morning, afternoon and evening for several romps.  They
don't seem exactly thrilled about the situation, but don't seem as
miserable as they once did.

But anyway, about the cage.  To assuage my guilt for making them give up
their room, I bought this huge "Super Ferret Kingdom" cage -- the thing
is like 5 feet tall or something.  The problem is, I don't think they
like it very much.  I think it's too big for them.  They've been living
in it for over two months now, and they still don't seem at home in it.
It's almost as if having to climb from one level to another scares them
or something.  We've got another, two-level, small cage, which I put them
in when I'm cleaning the big one, and they seem much more at home there.
(Back when they had the room, they were basically free roaming but would
"ferret nap" in the small cage sometimes.) I think they find it cozier.
I worry, though, that it's too small to have them in there all day --
there's not much room.

So, all that background info is to ask if any other two-ferret families
out there have suggestions for a good-size cage.  Specific names or
brands would be great.  I'm thinking something between the new gigantic
cage I bought and the two-level starter home would do the trick.  I'd
also like to find something with wheels, so I can move it around more
easily.

If I do end up buying a new cage, I'd be glad to donate the Super Ferret
Kingdom to a shelter, if it would come in handy.  I worry, though, that
it might just take up a lot of room.  But if anyone out there works at a
shelter in the MD/DC/VA area and would be interested in the big cage, pls
let me know and I'll be glad to contact you if we end up buying a new
one.

Thanks.  Sorry to blab on.  I hadn't realized how long this message got...

Kristin

ps.  I'm probably overanalyzing all of this -- I tend to do that.  I just
know I want my buddies to be as comfy as possible.