From:
Dennis Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:19:00 -0800
John Watson described the plexiglas anesthesia "box" or "tank" that ferrets
are placed in to get them started on the isoflurane/oxygen mixture.  Once
they're "out," they're switched to a tiny facemask.

The ferret vets that I know in the San Francisco area don't use ketamine (or
a tube in the lungs, which sounds darned uncomfortable!).  One uses a "box,"
which hasn't caused any of my ferrets to freak out, although they are
curious about the smell when the isoflurane starts flowing.  Apparently it
bothers some animals more, though.

My favorite ferret vet just "burritos" the ferret in a towel and starts
right out with a mask, maybe one that is somewhat oversized to start with.
He and his staff are good at it; it seems quick and only mildly annoying to
the ferret; and ferrets generally don't hold grudges.  (Grendel seems much
more irritated when I take away something he shouldn't eat.)

So as John suggested, iit sure seems to me that there are reasonable ways
to put ferrets under without any real need for ketamine, which I think is
an unnecessary risk.

Dennis