From:
diane killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 20:59:39 -0400
>Please show me where it is stated that anyone on this list (besides
>vets) have been acknowledged experts.  Then we go into the whole thing
>of defining what part of ferretry you are an acknowledged expert in.

Apparently you are having a problem with the correct usage of certain
words.  First it was the word 'hobby' and now it's the words 'in demand',
'expert' and 'ferretry'.

Ferretry is not a word found in dictionaries but it is used by ferret
breeders for their breeding operation.  It is similiar to the word
'cattery' which can be found.  According to Merriam-Webster Dictionary,
a cattery is "an establishment for the breeding and boarding of cats."
The word ferretry does not mean anything else in particular.  You seem
to think it means everything about ferrets.

Expert is a good word that has nothing to do with perfection.  The
Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines it as " having, involving, or displaying
special skill or knowledge derived from training or experience".  Since
Bill did go through years of training and has years of experience as a
ferret judge, and is acknowledged as one of the better judges by all of
the clubs that continually request his return, he is an 'expert' with
respect to judging.  The 'in demand' comment was used because, the GCFA
for example, decided that the AFA did not suit their needs but they have
emphatically requested that we continue to judge their show.  That makes
us 'in demand'.

The AFA does indeed have licensing and training fees all judges and
judges-in-training have to pay in order to participate in their program.
Following the successful completion of this program, the judges receive
their license and, by the definition cited above, are considered experts,
in the field of judging ferrets.

>I also believe that Vickie Mckimmey is telling the truth on the removal
>or non-renewal of judges.  She has no reason to lie about such and I have
>spoken to many other people who witnessed what Vickie has referred to.  Why
>would so many people say the same thing?  Is it a conspiracy?  Not likely.

You are entitled to your own opinion, however, I seriously doubt there is
any way possible for you to have spoken to others who 'witnessed' what
Vickie referred to.  First of all, Vickie's comments were nebulous, at
best, in order to make people think they know what she's talking about.
Furthermore, if they witnessed these written complaints, as well as the
other documents, they would have been looking at essentially 'confidential'
documents.  Would you care to name these witnesses of yours and explain
how they came to be in possession of these documents?

For several months on many of the ferret related message boards there were
anonymous messages placed their periodically which essentially were seeking
any and all information pertaining to rumors about Bill.  These anonymous
messages traced back to the Pacific Northwest area where you just happen to
live, Danielle.  Or perhaps it was your friend Debbie working in collusion
with you.

>I would also like to know about this lawsuit that has been filed against
>AFA for such.  Does it exist?

No mention of such a lawsuit has been made on the FML or anywhere else,
at least not by us.  And what significance is there for you, if there is
or isn't a suit?  We did, however, mention that we have discussed things
with our attorney.  This is a true statement.  Our attorney has been
aware of this situation since Bill received his official notification in
March, and he and has all the relevant documents, letters, emails, etc.
pertaining to this issue we've collected since then.

>I do think that if there is a lawsuit against AFA it would be wise to NOT
>discuss it on the FML - anything said could be used against you in a court
>of law and could hinder the case.

Again, I would like to know what the significance there is for you whether
or not there is a suit against the AFA.  You live on the West Coast.  You
haven't attended any ferret shows where Bill was a judge.

>I believe Vickie and the many witnesses and complaintants (there were
>several not just one) but these people have chosen to remain anonymous
>because of the backlash

As I stated before, you are entitled to your opinion.  However, the simple
truth of the matter exists that the reasons for Bill's dismissal continues
to change continuously.  Vickie's story changes according to who she's
talking to.  To date, we've now heard at least four completely different
stories as to the 'reason'.  And why are these new 'reasons' coming up now?
Bill was informed that his license wouldn't be renewed in March; it's now
October.  With these various scenarios Vickie is now telling people, she
is contradicting the only official letter sent to Bill.  Since you do not
have (or should not have) that letter, you can not discern the truth of
the matter.

diane