From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 11:12:11 -0400
>........its important for people to continue to put pressure on their
>State Senators to have this bill heard and to not assume anything is
>a given.
>Jeanne

Massachusetts at this point three years ago had somewhere between five and
six people calling every DAY concerning H295, our 'ferret bill'.  One of the
clerks told me that so many letters were coming in that they build a file
several inches thick.

It still came down at the end to the work of Mass Rep Brad Jones who pulled
our bill out of a pile of pending legislation in front of the chairman at
the podium, and put it on top.  Then it was the Chairman's willingness to
pick it up and call for a vote.

Every little bit helps.  You never know who is going to talk to whom, and
who is going to be influenced by what.  All comes down almost to luck at
the end, but you CAN influence the odds, if enough people want it bad
enough, join together, work hard enough, and convince others to help.

Legislators are busy people, only a minority of bills get much more than lip
service.  Partly it is a matter of getting them to believe that it is in
their interest to tell the other person that they are busy.

Go you Californians !!!!