From:
Jeniferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 09:35:59 EST
This was returned to me; I'll try to send again.  My apologies to those who
have been waiting for an update.

4/3
Thank you all who have emailed me advice on the found ferret: Melissa,
Donna, Alicia, Troy Lynn, Shari, Sharon, Georgia, Jackie, and Samone (I
apologize if I have omitted anyone).

I thought I was going to have some decent news for everyone, because last
night I spoke to the guy and he offered me the ferret.  Today when I went
over with the cage, etc.  to get it, his girlfriend was home, answered the
door, called him on the phone to verify, and came back saying he had changed
his mind, that he's gotten attached to it, that it didn't need the cage,
which I offered anyway of course, because he lets it run around the bathroom
and lets it have lots of play time.

Keeping in mind the advice to remain diplomatic, I made nice noises about
him liking it so much already, but reminded her that we should still
continue our efforts to find its real person (okay, I confess, I said
"owner") because ferrets become very attached to their people, and also
reminded her that ferrets have specific requirements re food, housing,
health and safety.  She said that tonight she would go around to more
houses to ask if it belongs to anyone.  (If she doesn't, I still have signs
up with my phone number on them.)

I have also contacted our local petstore and vet with my number.)  Tonight
I will bring them over another bag of ferret food and a book on ferret care
as a "baby gift".

I have to just remind myself that: so far I have seen no signs up about a
lost ferret (and if Rustle or Archie had run off there would be thousands up
by now because I would want them back), that the guy is enjoying it and
playing with it, that once upon a time we all were beginners, and as long as
an honest effort is being made to locate its people and as long as he is
motivated to take care of it appropriately, I have no more right to it than
he does.

If there are any new developments, I'll let you know.  Thanks again for your
advice!

Jennifer

4/4 Yesterday I left the book, food, my phone # and the message that if he
changes his mind, my offer to take the ferret still goes.  Widened the area
where I put up signs, too.