From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 16:14:52 EST
Thank you so much, Alice, for sharing what happened to your Fannie (ferret
that is lol).  That poor baby, I can just visualize her rolling and then,
blooosh!  awe!  It's not documented or studied formally (as many things
with deafness in ferrets), but I definately find that they seek out tactile
stimulation more than normal ferrets in varieties of ways.

Some deaf ferrets are really no different than normal ones, yet others
display a host of stereotypies.  The ones that act normal, I am grateful
that they can.  the ones that don't, I at least try to eat up the
differences as you stated.  But I just had to come forward, and state that
there is suprise, sometimes shock, and even mourning to a degree when one
finds out there baby is deaf.  As I had said, my husband acted like nothing
was wrong for an entire year with his.  Now all of a sudden I catch him
snuggling his and saying, "I wish you could hear me..."

Wolfy
Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/
for information on ferret deafness: