Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 08:53:43 -0500
Hello everyone.  I have a few things to share and a request for advice.
First things first...

The Springfield Ferret Association will be holding two events coming up
quickly.  On August 31, we will be holding "Get to Know Ferrets" Day at our
local Petsmart.  They were kind enough to let us have some space and a table
this Saturday.  We will be handing out our brochures and the mini-faq (if
that's alright with Pam).  We will also have ferrets to pet and see as well
as at least 7-10 members there all day.  It will run from 10:00 until 3:00.
If anyone is in the area stop by!

The next event will be a Ferret Fun Day.  Thanks to the folks in Colorado
for the advice and to some other groups that I "borrowed" games from.  This
will be our first big event (besides the "Get to know" day) and we are
excited.  It will be held on Sept.  28 in Springfield MO.  I'm still working
with the Park board in town to get a good spot.  Also, if MO Bob reads this,
I've lost your email address and I would like to invite you to come if you
can.  Anyone else in the area is also welcome to stop by and I am always
looking for advice.  This is new to us and we love ideas.  If you have any
advice for us, email me.

The next thing is this.  We are trying to start a rescue along with the
club.  I have talked to the Humane Society in town as well as the animal
control and the zoo.  If any of these orgs.  get ferrets in, they call me.
Last night, I got our first call.  A lady had two ferrets she needed to give
away because of moving.  She ended up giving them to a friend that already
had a ferret so that worked out good.  But, this lady told me of a couple in
a nearby town that is breeding ferrets and then selling them at a local flea
market.  I know no more details than this but I wonder if this couple does
shots, etc.  I know they don't alter (spay, neuter) or decent.  Decenting
doesn't bother me but can't a female die if she goes in heat and doesn't
breed?  What should I do?  We are planning to go to the flea market next
month (it only happens the 3rd Sunday of the month).  Any other advice?

Sorry so long. Thanks for the help!
Melissa Knapp
Pippen and Jordan
Springfield Ferret Association