From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 1997 17:38:17 -0400
I like Dave Les' idea of letters to James Haveman, as well as drawing
national attention via investigative reporting.  Dave, can you say more?
any more ideas?  what else can people do?

Also, what do Michigan people think about a boycott?  I would like to see it
happen (yes I agree, it won't cause the economy of Michigan to collapse, but
I think it will let more people know what is going on and, as Steve said, I
would also feel better).  I also think it's very important to let people
know what the goal is: we boycott MI until ferrets get a quarantine, same as
dogs and cats.

Marsha S. has compiled a long list of company names.  My suggestion is for
every letter that's written, send a copy to Gov Engler, other gov't people,
possibly Haveman?  I also would like to include organizations that are
specific to Michigan--tourist boards, Chambers of Commerce, etc.

I don't really want to plow ahead on a boycott without the blessing of the
Michigan folks--any thoughts?

This is something MI folks already know, but I just learned: before ferrets
were legal in MI, the MI gov't people entered the apt of a ferret owner who
wasn't home, confiscated the ferret, and shot the ferret a few days
later--this was just for possession of an illegal ferret (no bite or
anything).  For those of us who think we live in a country where things like
this don't happen--think again.  I was horrified.

I would very much like to see the Michigan issue kept alive; please keep
giving us suggestions.  Thanks!

Ronnie DiComo