From:
Pamela Paasche' O'Hearn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 18:47:50 -0400
>And what many people don't know, (I sure didn't) is that once you are
>inoculated, you are protected for life.  Should a vaccinated person be
>exposed to rabies again, he/she would simply need a booster shot.

The human rabies vaccine is the same as the post-exposure injection.
However, it is not necessarily true that you are protected for life.
Generally, you receive 3 injections to give you initial protection.  After
that, your titer is checked every 2 years.  If it drops below safe levels,
you need a booster.  They aren't certain how long it is good for in people.
I had my vaccines in 1993, and am still ok, but I have to be rechecked this
summer.  I've known 1 person that needed a booster after 2 years, and others
that are ok for more than 5, but I never heard of one being good for life.

Pam O