From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 09:13:29 -0400
Debbie commented that I should have stated that ECE *was* a possibility with
"bird seed" diarrhea, and she is correct.  My statement was intended to say
the "bird seed diarrhea is not *necessarily* the result of ECE".  The
granular diarrhea that this term refers to is quite common in ferrets; often
brought on by cold/flu, stress, change of diet, etc.  Sometimes it even
seems to be seasonal, as many of ours come down with a mild form of it every
spring.  (Sometimes I think they do it just to worry me.) But it does indeed
show up during the latter stages of ECE too.

Someone on the FML, in responding to a question concerning "How do I know if
my ferret has ECE?" replied, "Don't worry, you'll KNOW if it's ECE." After
talking to Troy Lynn Eckart, I now know exactly what they meant by that.

As many of you probably read, Troy Lynn's shelter was hit recently by ECE.
Most of the 61 ferrets there, many old and suffering from a variety of
ailments, came down with it.  Eight weeks later she is finally seeing the
end of it.  Through it all, though, she lost none to ECE.  Can you imagine
the time and money she had to give during that time?  I know that many a
night she had only a couple of hours sleep, and that she had to spend well
over a thousand dollars on special foods and medicines and vet bills.  This
is time in addition to working 7 days a week, which she does just to keep
her shelter going during normal times.  My hat is certainly off to her, and
I suggest a "standing ovation" to her for the sacrifices she has made and
continues to make for the ferrets.

          Dick B.