From:
Nancy Farlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:46:32 -0400
Ronald Rosson wrote:
>Today he has been biting the bottom of the bottom door.  and the wire on
>the door.  At first I thought it was his way of saying "I want out" but
>after I let him out he just layed around.  He seemed a little weak.

When my Beuhler was sick last year, he did the same thing.  He had never
done this before, in all the years I'd had him.  He would wake me up in
the middle of the night with his seemingly desperate clawing and biting at
the cage door.  All the other ferrets were sleeping peacefully.  Sometimes
it seemed so urgent that I would drag myself out of bed and let him out for
a while.  He would run around doing his usual ferrety activities, but when
I put him back in the cage and he would start clawing and biting the door
all over again.  He just seemed to be extremely restless.  I didn't realize
just how sick he was at the time, and looking back I wonder if maybe he was
just looking for some kind of relief and didn't know how to get it.

I don't mean to get you worried Ron, but in case the cage biting is a
sign that Peede is in discomfort, I would recommend having your vet do a
thorough check-up to rule out anything serious like an undetected tumor
or something else that may be causing distress.

Best wishes for you and Peede,
Nancy and critters