From:
Cynthia ritenour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:44:40 -0500
Well.....the ferret numbers thing has been a real eye opener.......
and a real sad story of our disposable society. How can we help

Anyone who asks about ferrets (I am known as "that crazy ferret lady"),
I tell them several things:

- Volunteer at the closest shelter, learn all you can before you get
  one or two or three....
- read up....these are not hamsters dogs or cats or like any other pet
  they may be familiar with
- adopt, don't buy from stores

- no, they are not rodents
- no, they are not wild, nor can they go wild and live outside
- no, cat food is not always the best food
- no they are not good with small kids
- yes they are exotics and you will need an exotic vet to care for them
- yes they have to be out every day
- yes they do have their own smell, but not unlike cats have a smell
  and dogs have a smell. as long as you keep their bedding and litter
  box clean, they are no worse than a dog or cat. (my sons' feet smell
  worse)
- yes they get into everything you have to ferret proof your house
- yes they need bite training, some more than others (adoptees may not
  need this)
- yes they'll use a litter box, but any corner will do if one isn't
  close enough

Other than trying to educate as people ask about them, what can we
do? The numbers are how many are in shelters now.... but how many go
through the doors every year if each of these shelters adopts out
only ten ferrets a year in addition to the numbers consistently in the
shelters, then there is hospice numbers, foster home numbers, shelters
not 501c yet, the number becomes even more astounding.

Bless all of you who take care of all these kids on a daily basis. you
are their angels

Anyone out there considering?  Please get a slightly used ferret from
a shelter.....I did and they are great!!

hug your ferrets today...

Cindy & the Slightly Used Gang
Dobbin, Zoe, Taz, Lollie, Oliver, Isadora(ble), Ham, Cheese, Martin
and Chepe' no

with love sent to those at the bridge, El Bandito, Bubbles, Noel,
Franklin, and Sugarfoot, I still think of them every day