From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:35:51 EDT
Ya, I know you were going to.  How do I know?  I am coming forward to admit
that I always have.  A dear friend admitted to me she has, which led to me
coming clean.  And if we did... then I know others have skipped over ADV
posts on the FML many times.

I have skipped over this topic because
a)quite frankly most posts are quite emotional and even contraversial on
this subject which frustrates me as ADV is a scientific part of our
ferrety lives,
b) I didn't understand and continue to not understand ADV
c) I am in denial and think that ADV won't affect me.

Ya I admit all that.  Especially the latter.  I think of ADV today as
AIDS was in the eighties a little.  No one was interested in AIDS in the
eighties because it seemed to be rare.  It seemed to only affect "others"
or "certain groups of people" and that it wouldn't affect us.  There is a
huge social implication (and even prejudice) with ADV as well as with AIDS
and don't tell me there isn't.  We thought it wasn't very contagious.  We
thought of it as only in certain areas.  Remember ARC with AIDS?  That was
when you tested positive for HIV, but didn't have symptoms...and thought
there was the possibility that you may not get full blown AIDS.  Some
thought you were not contagious if you tested positive for HIV (and had
ARC) unless you had full blown AIDS.  I remember early tests were not
entirely reliable.  I'm not saying that today's ADV tests are not reliable,
they are, but I don't believe that was always the case.  People did not
support AIDS research, nor support those affected.  How bout this...
think all that, then bam!  You know someone with AIDS, and there is
misinformation out there, and little resources.  Do you remember?  Maybe
you're still in the midst of this even in 2000.  You are not alone.

I see ADV as a disease that could potentially be as ravaging as AIDS is
today if we ignore it.  What can you do?  Lets... see.... What can you
do....

Wolfy
Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/