From:
"pml @hotmail.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 15:32:48 -0000
I know we're supposed to get off this topic, but I wanted to let you know a
young person's view of this subject.

In a way, I can understand the fee request.  I believe that, as a young
person, I must show more than just interest in an animal that I want to have
as a pet.  I must be involved.

For me, this included doing mountains of research before getting my ferret.
I read hundreds of pages of things I got off the internet, books I rented
from the library or purchased, etc.

With all the animals I get, my parents and I have an agreement.  We also
have a "quota"...on other words, I can only get a new pet when an old one
dies.  This keeps me from getting too many so that I can't handle and play
with them all every day.

Our other agreement is that I pay for all the equipment, toys, and the
animals themselves.  My parents will pay vet bills and for food, but
everything else is my responsibility.  My parents do this in return for
being able to play with my pets (two out of seven are more family than my
pets).

Parents must be sure that their children really want the animal.  If a child
does not pay for the animal or agree to pay for some other things, do
research, etc.  then that child may not be willing to give...
sacrifice...for that living being.  And that could cause some problems in
the long run for the pet's well-being.

Just wanted to let you all know my opinion as a young person in a similar
situation. :o)