From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 00:30:49 -0400
The report is in on Oscar, I am afraid it is not good.  Dr.  Kendrick does
not recommend surgery as he has multiple tumors and lesions on the liver,
pancreas, liver, and spleen.  He is between 5 and 6, not sure, and it looks
like we just got to him too late.  Erika and I have decided to make his
remaining time as comfortable and as happy as possible.  The vet gives him
two months to one year.  He will not be up for adoption.  As long as Erika
is willing, he will stay there as a foster ferret of the shelter.  (Because
of the "greenies" here.)  We are all very sad for him.  The vet does not
think he is in pain at this point, and when certain signs become present,
Oscar will be re-evaluated by him to determine his "level of comfort", and a
decision will have to be made at that time.  The Nutri-Cal we have received
from the manufacturer will be used with him, and we are very glad to have
it, as he needs three tablespoons per day to maintain his blood sugar level,
and energy.

**  Topanga  **  She is the little girl, nine months old, who was in heat
when she arrived.  She is a very light sable, very sweet and cuddly, <not a
misprint>...  she is unusual in this.  She loves to curl into a ball while
you hold her and she loves to give kisses.  Her owner became pregnant and
felt she would not have the time to devote that Topanga deserves.  She came
through surgery just fine, both spaying and descenting.  At the time her
stitches were removed, she was "under the weather" so we had her stool
checked, and the vet diagnosed Giardia.  We have been lucky, no one else
here has shown signs of it, and we have tried hard to keep her isolated and
to limit contact while she is recuperating.  She seems to be over that now,
and she is off the medications for it.  She had one day of yellow poop, but
I had given her some extra vitamins that were that color so I am hoping that
was the cause.  Today her poops are normal and I got kisses for the first
time in two weeks, she has been mad at me for giving her nasty medicine.
This little girl is a "people ferret" and a heart stealer.  As soon as her
vaccinations are brought up to date and her hair grows back from the
surgery, she will be up for adoption.  I think I have the perfect candidate
in mind, but we will see.  The lady has not gone throught the screening
process yet, as I have been just a little busy here.

**  Rags  ** He is a silver-mitt, about 1-1/2 years old.  He is a sweetheart
and absolutely the best behaved ferret I have had here.  He is so good.  He
plays with the others but never gets too rough, even when they bully him.
He uses the litterbox very well.  He loves people (and empty plastic soda
bottles).  He has the cutest habit of standing up and perfectly balancing on
his back legs to beg to be picked up, or to try to see over the barracade.
He is due a couple more Distemper shots, and he will be ready to go to his
new home.  A wonderful ferret owner is in love with him, and wanting to add
him to her group of three.  His new brother and sisters will be Wyle E.,
Koko, and Yum Yum.  (Koko and Yum Yum are the girls.) I just love it when
they are adopted out to these wonderful new homes.

Just a little business....<pun intended>...  it seems there is a conspiracy
going here among certain friends of mine, to get me to go to Austin to go to
a meeting where the State will discuss the proceedures concerning ferrets
and Rabies vaccinations and quarantines, etc..  I will have to do some
homework to catch up on all the stuff going on regarding Rabies and
quarantines, as I tend to get lost in rescues and taking care of sick ones.
It seems that there may not be another shelter in attendance, and perhaps
not even enough people there to speak out for ferrets at all, so I guess,
since my schedule is somewhat flexible, I am elected to attend.  I am not
good at this sort of thing, and I am afraid I may get upset about the way
things are handled now and that I will be less than diplomatic.  I tend to
get pretty fired up about the fuzzies.  But I think I am willing to give it
a shot.  I weighed the decision carefully and had a hard time deciding if
*I* would make enough of an impact there to justify *not being here* to take
care of these little ones.  I had to decide where I was needed the most.
After I learned that I may be the 'only' shelter there, and there may not be
many ferret people at all, I knew I had to go.

Not to worry, the fuzzies here will be just fine.  My best friend, Donna, is
now living here and she knows more about taking care of these guys than
anyone, she has 3 here of her own and she could not possibly love any of
these little ones more.  If it were not for her, I would not even consider
going.  They will be very well taken care of in my absence.  They probably
won't even know I am gone.  I think I will be going down with Debra Thomason
from Wednesday to Saturday of next week.

If anyone has any suggestions to help in our fight for these little ones,
please feel free to e-mail me.

Well, gotta go.  See ya later...

Kisses to all the fuzzies.

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter