From:
Tim Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 1995 15:11:46 -0500
Our newest member, Nikki (4 month old female), has picked up an unstoppable
habit of climbing our plant stand and digging in our plants.  We have tried
absolutely everything we can think of to discourage this, to no success.  It
doesn't matter what we do...Nose thumping, loud noises (yelling/clapping),
telling her NO!, water guns (she actually LIKES that :P), putting her in her
cage when she does it, putting her in a room alone, putting her in her travel
cage in a room alone...nothing seems to work.  Does anybody have any
suggestions?  She just finds the plants too fascinating.

Also, has anybody heard of a thing called a "Skat Mat" (or something
similar)?  Supposedly, this is a mat that you place in front of an area that
you don't want you pets to go.  It emits a very low shock (I'm told similar
to a normal static shock) when stepped upon and is just enough to get a pet's
attention.  Would this be something appropriate for use on a ferret?  I
understand that it's mainly for dogs and cats, so it may be too much for a
ferret due to their relatively small size.  I definately have no desire to
hurt my fuzzies.  I'm just out of ideas.  I'd much rather have a dug-up
plant, than take a chance of hurting the little ones. :)  If anybody has any
information on this, or any alternative suggestions for stopping the plant
digging, please let me know.  Thanks.

Tim Kesterson

Tim: "ARRRRGH!  Nikki!  GET OUT OF THE STUPID PLANT!!!"

Nikki: "See?  He loves when I do this.  I can tell by all the attention he
gives me when I do it."