From:
Katharine Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2006 05:34:08 -0400
The best syringes have the "o" ring type plungers.  However, they usually
have to be ordered.  The syringes you get from your vet are intended for
one-time use, so are not going to last long.  The "o" rings will last for
weeks, working properly.  Not a bad idea to order them on-line and keep
a small supply on hand.  I keep multiple sizes on hand, from 1/2mL up to
40-60mL.  I use them for meds, syringe feedings, and sub-q fluids.  The
printing on the "o" rings also doesn't rub off very quickly.

I rinse them out after each use.  Then, weekly, I take them apart, put
them in a cup with water and put in the microwave until the water comes
to a boil.  After it cools, I put them on a paper towel to dry.  When
dry, I rub or spray a little vegetable oil on the plunger and put it back
into the syringe, working it up and down until there is a smooth flow.

The "o" rings are more expensive so this technique extends their life for
a good while.  I have used 20mL syringes for weeks, using them 2-3 times
a day for feedings.

Here are two links.  The Squirrel Store sells individual syringes so that
may be the best place to get a few of each size.  They are called "o"
ring there.  Med Care Products sells them by the box.  I split orders
with a wildlife rehabber and this is more cost effective for large
orders.  They are the Basik brand.

http://www.squirrelstore.com/

http://www.medcareproducts.com/

Katharine