From:
Dee Race <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 21:46:34 -0500
>From:    Becki Kain <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferret law in Michigan
>hey, I need a statement about the change in the law in Michigan ....

PRESS RELEASE FROM MICHIGAN DEPT OF COMMUNITY HEALTH
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NOVEMBER 4, 1997

MICHIGAN WELCOMES CDC FINDINGS ON FERRETS, RABIES

Michigan Department of Community Health Director James K. Haveman, Jr. today
announced that Michigan has learned that the Compendium of Animal Rabies
Control Committee will recommend managing ferrets that are exposed to rabies
or that bite humans in the same way that dogs and cats are managed. This
decision was based on the scientific studies of the Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention (CDC).

"I am pleased that we now have the accepted scientific evidence to support
claims that ferrets shed the rabies virus in the same manner as dogs and
cats," said Haveman. "I have stated before, that when scientifically sound
data came in showing ferrets shed rabies virus for only a short period of
time before falling ill, we would then re-examine our policies and
regulations. We will begin to implement this new recommendation."

In early July, Michigan urged the CDC to complete testing on the rabies
virus for ferrets.  Without the scientifically sound evidence, the only way
to determine if a ferret had rabies was to euthanize it and examine its
brain tissue.  If a ferret does have rabies or is untested, treatment is
recommended for the person that was bit.  Rabies treatment is a series of
shots that can cost as much as $1,500.

The CDC responded by the end of July, affirming Michigan's position on
examining and testing ferrets for rabies when a ferret has bitten someone.
At that time, Dr. James Hughes, Director of the National Center for
Infectious Diseases at the CDC stated, "before definitive recommendations
can be made concerning management of potential human rabies exposure
following bites by ferrets, rabies pathogenesis should be studied further."
Dr. Hughes indicated that the CDC would accelerate their research to
finalize recommendations on the quarantine of ferrets following bite
exposure.

"I would like to thank the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for
completing these important scientific studies. Our priority at the Department
has always been to promote the health of Michigan's citizens. In the past,
without this scientifically recognized evidence, the Department was obligated
to uphold this safe approach in dealing with ferrets," said Haveman.

The Department of Community Health has informed local public health
departments of the anticipated announcement from the CDC.

  ------
HOW'S THAT!!!!!
Dee, Beau & Nilla