From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 20:03:14 -0800
Sorry for the loss of Rusty, Troy Lynn.  I also have a Rusty (named for
the rusty orange color around his neck from a too tight collar when he
came here).  Like your Rusty, he doesn't like to be cuddled or held
(although he's very polite about letting us know that), but he has a
special relationship with each of the other ferrets.  He taught Sparky how
to be a ferret, how to play, how to sleep with another ferret; he's been
the bridge between the "bad boys" and the ones that have joined us since
he came; he plays gently with the little girls and rough and tumbles with
the boys, and is especially gentle with little Cleo who has adrenal and
cutaneous lymphoma.  Rusty has already had his left adrenal removed and
is starting to show adrenal signs again.  I know the right adrenal surgery
is coming in the near future and it scares me because if things don't go
well, not only will I be broken hearted, but 6 ferrets will also have an
empty hole in their lives.  I have always referred to him as my "flower
child."

David, whenever I stand and watch ferrets curled up sleeping, my husband
has taken to saying "no, there is NOTHING more precious than sleeping
ferrets" because he knows that's what I'm going to say.  And as for your
"slow Sunday," I agree, there is nothing better than a nice lazy day when
the ferrets allow you to be one of them.  I sometimes think they are what
keeps me sane in this frenzied world we live in.

Emma, check out Martin Cages (martinscages.com); I believe they will even
customize for you.  Great cages, nice people and really good service.

Kelly, the kitchen is a real challenge to ferret proof, especially the
little space under the cupboards.  We have finally boarded it all up under
there and it is UGLY - but ferret proof.  Number 1 priority if we ever
remodel the kitchen - no tiny little openings!

And Vickie, went to your web site to see the bulldog pictures - you've got
gorgeous, healthy looking ferrets.  I have never chosen my own ferret,
they just seem to show up at my door when someone else is done with them.
Maybe someday I'll be able to choose one and start from the beginning of
their lives, although there is something about throw-aways and little lost
ones that is extra special.

Time to go gather up (and admire) the little furry bodies curled up in my
dresser drawers - their idea of the perfect cage.

Posted anonymously to protect the innocent in CA