From:
Jennifer Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 20:24:30 EDT
I have been a ferret owner for quite a bit, but am just entering the age
where I need to worry and watch for adrenal problems.  I have a beautiful
deaf silver mitt who came to me through the Chester County SPCA in PA.  He
was skinny and had a rough coat when I took him home just over a year ago,
but now is quite a heavy, healthy and luxuriously coated boy.  His age is
questionable, but guessimated at 3-4 years old.  Okay now the dilemma.  I
spend time everyday with my boys, on the floor playing and having them
crawl all over me, I know them very, very well.  I noticed about 2 weeks
ago that Jack's tail was not quite as full, but there was not a single spot
where hair was missing.  At first I put it off to just a result of his
shedding.  But upon closer inspection, the hair is considerably thinner
than usual, again not in a single spot or area, just all over.  Fearing
adrenal, he went to the vet and the vet is telling me that the hair loss
is not typical of adrenal or any health ailment, just shedding, maybe some
rough play, etc.  I asked to have bloodwork run, but the doctor declined
saying it was not necessary.  Please throw out some opinions here - he is
extremely healthy otherwise, even other ferret owners remark what a
beautiful fuzz he is.  No noticable sleep problems, but he is deaf and just
slept through Hurricane Floyd!!

Any suggestions, please let me know.  If it is adrenal problems, how long
is too long to wait?  There is no balding at this point, so if the thinning
is from adrenal, it is early.  Should I press for the bloodwork and if he
refuses, just go elsewhere??  I would rather pay the money and be wrong,
then wait and the problem develop further or he become sick-sick.  Any
suggestions!

Jen and Gang