From:
"Ann D. Phillips" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 15:04:12 -0400
In my post of 8/21 I stated:
>Petco, on its own, has also stopped selling iguanas (not an easy animal
>to keep healthy for the unprepared!).

Sandi Ackerman (she is associated with the House Rabbit Society's
successful Petco campaign - 3 Cheers For Sandi!!!!) corrected me in stating
that the sales of iguanas were stopped at Petco by the actions of the
Minnesota Herpetological Society & Reptile & Environmental Education - so
they get the credit for that victory.

I got the iguana information via reliable word of mouth, but did not know
that any particular organization was behind it until Sandi's post yesterday.

I just e-mailed the board of directors for the MHS and am eagerly awaiting
a reply as to the tactics they used in their successful bid to get Petco to
stop selling iguanas.

Obviously ferrets aren't collected as juveniles in the wild and not properly
cared for in transit, like iguanas, but I am looking forward to sharing
with the FML what the MHS did to educate Petco and how we can adapt their
information to "assist" Petco in stopping the sales of ferrets.

Ann

If you missed my FML post of 8/21 and would like contact information
regarding Petco and a basic template you can use to send them snail
mail, please e-mail me! Every letter helps!