From:
Dee Race <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 16:49:01 EDT
There is no ferret law in limbo ..... there is no ferret legislation.
HB5219 was introduced in the 1997-98 legislative session & never got out
of Sen Jaye's committee (SB616 was buried there, too).  Any legislation
introduced during a legislative session dies at the end of that session
 .... in this case December 31, 1998.  Therefore, new legislation has to be
introduced.  Do not call Gov.  Engler (King John as he is unaffectionately
called) and Sen Jaye.

Dr. James Haveman, Director of the MI Dept of Community Health, introduced
an Administrative Rule giving ferrets a 10-day quarantine.  An
Administrative Rule is introduced by State Departments & has the same clout
as a Law ... it just doesn't go thru the legislative process.  Michigan
ferrets are SUPPOSE to be protected by it.  I have the letter of assurance
from Dr. Haveman as well as the Administrative Rule; however, at this time,
it is in the hands of Marc Dantuma, Editor of The Ferret Press (Great Lakes
Ferret Association's newsletter), who is suppose to be including it in the
newsletter.

The incident Mr. Brown is referring to took place in Grand Rapids,
Michigan.  It involved a man being evicted, a psycho neighbor & a 90-year
old landlady.  Animal Control got involved.  If you want to call anyone,
call Kent County Animal Control at 616/336-3210 and ask for an explanation.
I know Barb Williams, Program Supervisor, is on vacation this week.  I have
a call in to a Supervisor Susan Engeseth.  At 2:45 PM, she was "at lunch".
You can also call Dr. James Haveman, Director of the Dept of Community
Health, 517/373-8024 and tell him his Administrative Rule didn't work.

Dee
Beau & Nilla
FERRETQUEST '99
Saturday June 5, 1999