Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 2009 08:53:59 -0700
Claire, I think that was a different case. This one had to take place
at least 15-20 years ago as the girl, Michelle, is already an adult.
I tried to find more info about this situation online, but I had a
hard time. I DID find several mentions of an article that claims a
ferret chewed off a baby's fingers or toes but I never found the
exact article. I did become even more angry however, when I saw many
of the comments about how ferrets are awful creatures, stinky and
disgusting....blah blah blah. What kills me is that people vilify
ferrets because they're not "as good as dogs and cats" and act like
it's a huge deal because they were bit by a ferret as a kid. (They
probably deserved it!) But when someone gets bit by a dog - as long as
it's not a bad bite - people act like it's ok because the kid probably
provoked the dog. Um, isn't it possible that the kid provoked the
ferret as well? Ferrets aren't the type of animal that just goes
around looking for a reason to bite someone. Mine only nip when you're
ignoring them or if you provoke them. For instance, my Benny HATES it
when you scratch his tummy - I don't know why, he just does. My husband
knows this, yet he still does it and get's nipped every time! When my
husband gets upset after getting bitten, I always have to remind him
that it's his own fault for scratching the tummy.

Even in the case of the sleeping baby - I doubt the baby provoked the
ferret - but the ferret would have to be severely neglected to ever
think that eating a baby's fingers, toes, or face would be a good idea.
And the parents are incredibly ignorant and idiotic to leave their
sleeping child alone in the same room where ANY animal is roaming free.
I know my dog or my ferrets would never do this to my daughter or any
future babies I may have - BUT I would still never leave them alone
together! I mean, seriously people, use some common sense! It just
sucks that the poor ferrets have become the villains here - because
ignorant people don't properly care for them and don't supervise their
child's interactions with their pets.

Melissa