From:
Ariel White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 14:06:02 -0700
I wrote in a while ago mentioning that one of the training tools I like to
use for scratching at doors is a supersoaker water gun.  It penetrates the
fur, making those carpet-diggers jump like crazy, and then gives them
something to do (clean their fur) instead of scratching at my doors.

This tactic has been highly successful... until Baxter.  I heard the little
devil vigorously attacking the carpet at my bedroom door, so I stealthily
sneaked around the corner and surprised him with a well-aimed burst of water
to his rear end.  I was shocked and dismayed when, instead of proper
subjugation, he ran over to me and looked up at the supersoaker, obviously
demanding an explanation.  My fatal error was when I lowered the gun and let
him sniff and inspect the deadly weapon.  He sniffed once at the barrel
where the water exits, twitched his nose in satisfaction, and calmly walked
away.

The next time I tried this discipline tactic, Baxter ran over to me and
*jumped* up at the gun, successfully grabbing the barrel and disarming me.
He started licking at the water still dripping from the barrel, so while
his mouth was open I mischeviously gave a little squirt straight into his
mouth!  His delight was greater than my shock (again) and he kept opening
his mouth asking for squirts of water.

Now, sadly, whenever I try to supersoak him, he thinks it's game time and
leaps up to catch the barrel and get a drink.  Sigh.  I guess it's back to
scruffing and time out's.

Ariel and her fesnyng