Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:36:39 EDT
I am very sorry, and do not intend for this to be a flame but I have got
to say something.

Vets do not make a lot of money nor do they recommend vaccines so they
can make more money.  Vaccines are recommended because they offer
protection from diseases that can and often do kill.  On the list, we may
hear of devastating distemper outbreaks and the horrifying symptoms which
always lead to death, but vets see these sickly animals.  They try and
try to make them better but they know that there is no real treatment.
Vets choose their profession because they love animals.  I can not think
of a single vet that would recommend a vaccine knowing a ferret could
react just because they might make money.  That whole idea is ludacris.
Distemper vaccines are recommended because distemper is always 100%
fatal.  Vaccine reactions may be fatal but all ferrets do not react nor
do all ferrets die from a reaction.  The recommendation stands because
it is the lesser of two evils.  The lack of a good vaccine is not the
fault of the vet rather it is due to the manufacturer.  Vets cannot use
a product they cant get.

Our vet charges an exam fee of $30, the distemper vaccine costs $31 but
includes a full physical exam.  I seriously doubt my vet would recommend
the vaccine, if she did not think it was necessary, just to make a buck.

Vets are good people.  They work long hours and do their best to be
sure your pets are healthy and happy.  They are underpaid and often
underappreciated so if you have had a bad experience with a particular
vet, I am sorry, but please do not condemn the vet community as a whole.

By the way, I am not a vet, just a lowly veterinary assistant who sees
the stress and emotional turmoil good vets go through each day.  I do
not know of a vet who would not be happy doing routine spays, neuters,
and vaccines, instead of dealing with disease, vaccine reactions,
injury, and most especially euthanasia.

Sorry, I just had to rant a bit, thanks for listening,

Erica
Snoball,(the dog)
Ripley, Jinx,& Max,(the cats)
  &