From:
Jason Kryska and Cheryl Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 02:45:58 -0700
Hello and Dooks to all you wonderful Ferret Folk!

As I wrote a few days back, I recently reseived a new kid.

Lizzy, was brought to us as a horrible biter, she would bite clear down
to the bone and hold on tight!  Now she is doing better, and gets along
wonderfully with almost all the other kids, but it seems our little Lizzy
*Hates* to be scuffed.  I mean she will scream and squirm, she will
scratch and try her damnest to bite you, and if you let her go and she
gets a hold of your hand, she bites down hard and holds on tight!  All the
while she hisses as well of course, even once you let her go and give her
cuddles and letting her know she is loved, she will hiss like crazy.  What
I have been doing as far as repremanding her when she bites consists of,

1 Scruff and sharp NO yelled, then cuddle once she has settled.

2 Scruff and sharp NO yelled then drag, then cuddle once she has settled.

3 Scruff then sharp NO yelled then drag and then I rest my lower arm
  lightly over her body (Like an alpha ferret does) then cuddle once
  she has settled.

4 Scruff, then NO yelled, then into cage for time out.

Sooo..  any suggestions?  She is really only getting scruffed when she
bites to hard, which happens usually when she gets to worked up, though
sometimes she will just lick and then latch on hard.  I dont think its
a fear thing..  I really think it is she doesnt know how to temper her
play..  most of the time.

Anyway.  I would really LOVE to hear any suggestions of how to repremand
without getting her so very upset and angry..  Or..  what if anything
there is that I can do to help her accept scruffing better.

Thanks alot

Hugs an Dooks

Cheryl