From:
Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 11:24:41 +0000
In the news story of the tragic death of a migrant worker, there is a leap
of imagination required by the reader, to wit:

Think Mexican-spoken Spanish English; a "whistle" is comprehended by a
Gringo as though it were pronounced, "weasel."

So, when crossing a series of RR tracks in the dead of night, and after a
few shots of pulque/tequila, my poor un-Gringo was not aware of the train
bearing down on him; and, he didn't even hear the "whistle" of the
locomotive, which to my poor un-Gringo, he would've called a "weasel."

See what I mean?  Better spoken than written.

By the way, and I've often wondered about this: I, as a Gringo, am at a loss
as what the term is for one who is not a Gringo?  Surely there must be a
better handle than, "un-Gringo."  What would it be?

Edward Frettchenvergnuegen Lipinski,  Der Frettchenlustbarkeitsfuehrer !
Frettchenvergnuegen [G.] Joy of Ferrets.  F...fuehrer [G.] Ferret frolics
leader.