From:
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:55:09 -0700
>From:    ferret <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Colloidal silver
>You are beating a dead horse.

I feel its the other way around.  I know I will never convince you as you
apparently will not see the truth.  You want it to be true so in your mind
it is true.  Science and medicine are not really about belief.  There is
the placebo effect but there is science to back that.  No placebo is any
better than another as long as it is thought to be a medicine.  You could
use sugar tablets as easily as colloidal silver as easily as chocolate
covered coffee beans.

>We have been over this debate many times before, and I've posted citations
>from sources at NASA, Syracuce University, and others in support of
>colloidal silver.

Have you actually read what I posted in response to your citations?

There are NO sources at NASA or Syracuse that support colloidal silver.
None.  Nada.  Zilch.  Zip.  Why would NASA research Earthbound medicines
anyway?

Your posted citations have always through checking them out failed a sanity
check.  They cite people that don't exist.  Institutions that don't exist.
People that disclaim the citations.

Your information is garnered from unscrupulous vendors illegally promoting
a quack magic cure all.  I instead of listening to lying salesmen or other
quoting those liars went to the claimed sources.  I also checked with the
FDA which despite protests from the snake oil vendors does actually
research the safety and effectiveness of medicines.  The FDA has a
veterinary group that has flat out stated that there are no safe and
effective uses of colloidal silver.  None.

You are wrong.  But you want to believe.

>Colloidal silver was the preeminent antibiotic in use in the United
>States - in hospitals, homes, and doctor's offices - before the invention
>of penicillin earlier this century.

Colloidal silver is not an anti-biotic.  It was not the pre-eminent topical
anti-septic (which is how it can be used) ever.  It was used in the same
way as iodine and mercurachrome.  Much more effective and safe alternatives
have supplanted all of these.

Penicillin is probably the first anti-biotic.  That is a very specific
term.  Colloidal silver does not meet the definition of an anti-biotic.

>Don't be so quick to dismiss it; you may need it some day to save your
>animal's life, as I did.

Don't be so quick to accept the word of someone who closed mindedly
believes in magic cure alls.  If colloidal silver really worked and was
really safe even if it was only a quarter as effective as the double
talking dishonest vendors; mainstream medicine would embrace it
extraordinarily quickly.  Doctors really are in the business of helping
people.  Instead mainstream medicine has written it off the same way it has
other snake oil panaceas.  I disparagingly refered to leeches earlier -but
even leeches have a medical use.  Colloidal silver does not.  Leeches are
used as an experimental cure for a form of pressure relief but I don't
recall the details.  Colloidal silver is even less accepted as real
medicine that Coca Cola syrup!

I really hope the colloidal silver promoters have read down to this point.
If they have I present a challenge:

If you honestly have some real evidence that colloidal silver is a safe and
effective medicine, I will most definitely admit the errors of my ways.
But you should also expect me to search out the validity of your evidence.
I have offered this several times and so far no one never ever come through
with something other than the same loose veiled or misleading references
that are posted on all of the vendor sites.  Actually no one has tried to
talk to me about this.  Its always been posts similar to Ela's where she
claims that I will not look at the evidence but will not present the
evidence.  That challenge goes for ANY supporter of colloidal silver.
Give me REAL evidence and you will get public acknowledgement of that.

-bill
--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets

[Moderator's note: As Bill states, this topic has indeed surfaced on the
FML many times.  Last time it ended with me having to cut off the debate
since it became a one-on-one debate between two people.  I'm afraid this
will happen this time too: If Ela wishes to present evidence to Bill and
Diane and the Killians want to research the validity or lack of it, that's
fine with me.  But please do so OFF the FML.  I would certainly consider
(and probably be glad to post) posting a summary from each party when all
is done.  BIG]