From:
Win Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:45:23 EST
I posted this several years ago but it may be of interest now.  Max was
a rescue and he was about 5 years old when he started to suck on Smudges
ears.  He would suck them until they bled.  Someone on the FML suggested
that it might be a sexual aggression thing brought on by adrenal disease.
He showed no other symptoms of the disease.  No hair loss, no weight loss.
Our vet did an exploratory surgery and found his left adrenal gland the
size of a peanut.  She removed it and all seemed well for several days
then we found out that he couldn't urinate.  Back to the vet.  She
anesthetized him and inserted a needle into his bladder.  What came out
was full of puss and a tinge of blood.  That afternoon she opened him up
again and removed a large amount of crystals.  Unfortunately, he didn't
handle 3 anesthesia's in as many days.  He died on the table.

Ear sucking should not be taken lightly.  It's time to see doc when you
see this going on every day.

Win remembering Max, BO BO, Jasper, Rosco, Rosie, Spud, Bandit, and
Samantha our first here in Michigan.