From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:37:06 -0500
Remember, Tony, that not all areas have had the low rates of bTB that
Britain has had, including in ferrets.  Caution has to be adjusted for
prevalence.  It's just like in our area the behaviors of pet owners are
different when there is a rabies outbreak compared to when there is not.
So, what works for one area or for one time frame may not be optimal
for another.

Thanks for getting the data for Great Britain; it is wonderful that it
is so different from the official reports from New Zealand.

It is interesting to read how the carcasses are handled there; I don't
know what it done here with that situation, though I would guess it is
similar.  Certainly, herd tracking is still far from reasonable in the
States.  There was recently a lot in the press about that when it could
not be found where the Alabama cattle with Mad Cow came from.  Only
the last year could be tracked.  So, I guess tracking backwards from
slaughter for bTB would also be just as impaired.  In the U.S. when bTB
is found in a living herd the entire herd is destroyed to prevent spread
according to previously referenced materials.  How is the tracking back
from slaughter in Great Britain?  Let me know off-list, please, unless
Bill considers it on-topic enough because it is off-topic somewhat.

Yes, bTB is killed by cooking.

Andrea, I loved your post on looking things up!

I have had influenza since late last week so am working between fevers,
and it is not as bad as influenza usually is for me.  I already have more
than enough ferret volunteer stuff where I help people find info, so that
is why you have been seeing less of me.  Yes, Steve is taking excellent
care of me and again proving that I wound up with the world's best hubby
(at least he is for me, and what more could anyone ask than to have love
so fulfilled...) :-), and even the ferrets are helping.  Whizbang and
Morney are varying between being freaked out to leaving me their favorite
toys.  Hilbert is laying on the floor and just watching me, guarding me.
Hubble and Telemna have their kindnesses, too.  I have been washing my
hands so often that they are almost raw and otherwise being careful, but
the precautions are working and so far no one else has it.  Reminder to
those in influenza areas: ferrets get influenza (also bacterial sinus
infections and some other things) so avoid exposure as much as possible,
please.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
replacing
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org
International Ferret Congress advisor
http://www.ferretcongress.org
Wonderful quote:
"Senator, when you took your oath of office, you placed your hand on
the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution.  You did not place your
hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible." (In Annapolis,
Maryland, at a hearing on the proposed Constitutional Amendment to
prohibit gay marriage, by Jamie Raskin, professor of law at AU)