From:
Lonita Wolfrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 01:23:36 -0600
I have been taking my oldest ferret, Dotter, to see my mother for over a
year.  Not long ago, we were told that Mom didn't have long to live.  On our
visits, Dot would examine Mom and her recliner (Yes, recliner...but She
never got out of Mom's lap, and was watched closely)  Mom steadily grew
worse, but Dotter was very gentle and quiet, staying with her and giving her
lots of fuzzykisses.  note: she is only this quiet on her gramma visits,
she's usually a bundle of energy.  I took Dot back to see Mom yesterday, and
Dotter knew something had changed.  She examined more thoroghly than usual,
dooking softly to Mom, kissing her constantly and seemed to not want to be
away from her hands.  When it came time to take her home, Dotter screamed!
I thought she was sore, and put her down in Mom's lap to check her over to
see where it was that she hurt.  No tenderness at all.  When I started to
pick her up again, she tried to back up beside her.  I finally got her out,
but she was straining and stretching her head towards her gramma and making
little dooks.  In her carrier, Dot kept stretching her little paws out at
Mom, and trying to get the door open.  Mom started to cry and told Dot that
she loved her, but it was time to go back home.  Dot didn't play last night.
She wouldn't take her ferretvite, or even look at a grape.  She just laid in
the corner of her playpen.  It was so hard to see her like that.  This
morning she was up and playing again, but not like usual.  Dad called to
tell me Mom's pain was worse, and the dose of morphine had to be increased.
I went over to check on her.  Mom's face was pale and sunken in.  Dotter
knew.  I wont take her back.  It hurt both of them too much.  When we lose a
furkid, we hurt.  Of course it must hurt them to lose one of us, too.

Loni
fuzzies; Dotter, Hoz, Sugar, Cream, Dawn Corleone the Godferret, (and
granfuzzy Little One)
Shepherd fuzzy toys; Baron and Schatze, and Athena and Ghobe'