From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Dec 2003 12:48:02 -0500
I wrote:
>http://tingilinde.typepad.com/starstuff/2003/12/pop_goes_the_we.html

>That picture of Ashling is about a year old, but she really DID have a
>wonderful time

I wasn't clear enough: Ashling wasn't a year old in that picture; she
was about six and is almost 7 now.  She looks a lot different now with
her carcinoma, fur loss (She drops fur anytime she is under phycial or
emotional stress since her follicles were compromised by bilateral
adrenal disease years ago.), and ascites due to her carcinoma.  She still
is having a grand time playing every day, though!  At the time that photo
was taken she was still climbing up to the top of an 8' tall closet
carrying a tv remote which weighed 1/4 of what she did, was still leaning
into curves when running, and was still descending from the closet or
from the top of the curtains by latching her front paws into something
long with delicate fabric, letting her bum hang, and ripping her way
down.  She can't climb much now, but can still climb blankets to the top
of our bed, and she has figured out a way to run despite muscle loss
where she is using her rear legs in conjunction as sort of simultaneous
pogo sticks.  She's still alpha, too, but she gets a bit of help and all
she has to do is to look at Hilbert the right way and he will lie down as
if she had rolled him and do a bit of submissive piddling which thrills
her no end.  She does like being the boss.

So, anyway, the picture is about a year old; Ashling in it was about 6
years old.  Lingity is gray with mitts and bib but her mitts and bib are
NOT cleanly margins by any means; there is some KIT or other spotting
neural crest variant in her which is too bad because I can't help but
wonder if she'd have had more time in her without carrying that genetic
variant, maybe not, though, since most of the early deaths I've heard of
with neural crest markings don't reach 7 years and we are thinking that
she has a chance to do that.  She is a fascinating individual and a
marvelous companion.  Steve and I just adore her.  We know people should
not have favorites, but she is one we've always hoped would make it to
11.  Instead, we are very happy to be able to give her quality of life
and when she is ready to go we'll give that gift, too.  It will be her
choice and we'll respond according to how she acts.  So, we take it a day
at a time and enjoy all the time we have together -- which has recently
been a real hoot when it wasn't cuddly and kissy time.  Ashling covers
all the bases: tons of snuggly lovely dovey stuff, smart solutions, and
hilarious play.