From:
Scott Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 19:34:23 -0400
Hi All,

I took Hot Rod and Frosty to the vet this past Saturday for their shots.  He
paid me the greatest compliment that I had received in quite a while.  He
stated that he had only seen one other ferret owner whose ferrets were as
well taken care of as mine and as well behaved.  Well, dear friends, I can't
take all the credit here, you all deserve a great big atta-boy for all of
your advice, suggestions, and input.  Without all of your help both on the
FML and at the shows I have attended, my babies would not be in the
condition that they currently are.  Each one's coat is as soft as rabbit fur
and they are so fluffy.  If they are this way now, I can't wait until their
winter coat comes in.  My two cancer babies lived long past the original
diagnosis period: Gismo just recently crossed the bridge after fighting
insulinoma and adrenals for over a year and a half, Princess is 7 and she
was given 2 months to live 2 1/2 years ago.

I got my first ferret in 1985 and I was so terribly uneducated about the
care of these little guys.  That was during the time that regular grocery
store cat  food was deemed "okay" to feed one's ferret.  Ferret proofing
one's house was almost unheard of.  They were allowed free run of the house
24/7.  Per a vet (no longer the one my babies see--thank Heavens), "if they
stay in the house, there is no need for any vaccinations."!  Through the
reading of this forum, gathering and putting into effect the information
gathered  and heeding the advice of the experts, I feel that my babies are
receiving the care, nutrition,  and attention that each deserves.   I only
regret that this knowledge came too late for my babies of the 80's.
Congratulations to all  of you first time ferret owners and some  words of
advice:  read and learn from these people on this forum, attend ferret
shows, join clubs, but most of all, love and give your new friend plenty of
hands-on attention daily.  Get down on the floor and play with them, they
will love you for it.  May your ferret(s) give you as much pleasure as mine
do me.  I thank the Lord daily for allowing me to be caretaker of these
little "sweeties".

Take care all

Margaret Ann and her babies:  Princess, Harley, Scooter, Coco, Merlin,
Rusty, Fancy, Daisy, AC, Dweezil, Hot Rod, Frosty and of course, Scott