From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 09:37:19 -0700
Well, I've been reading with interest the debate between Bob and Mary, as
the subject is one of objective interest to me, and I must say, I have
often thought it seems they argue the same side without knowing it.

Mary insists that she doesn't deal with "drugs", and while in this
country a government agency seems to think they have the sole right to
determine what is and is not a drug, that actually isn't the case.  As
defined in the dictionary, and somewhat simplisticly to me in junior high
biology classes, a drug is any chemical used to make a medicine, which
chemically effects the way the body works.  This could include sugar,
caffein, and any number of other natural chemicals that we consume on a
daily basis, whether we take them in medicines or not.

That being said, I have nothing at all against the use of herbals, if
such a thing is done with knowledge, experience and guidance of an
expert.  However, Bob is entirely correct when he says that there is
little difference besides the preparation of medium between an herbal
and a pharmaceutical containing the same active ingredient.

The problem with herbals in general is they are not regulated.  When
you go to Walgreens and buy a bottle of St.  John's Wort or some other
such thing, you don't really know exactly what you are getting.  You know
the active ingredient, and sometimes you know how much of it there is,
but what else is in there??  Besides, when a vet prescribes a drug to
help your ferrets, a specific dosage, known to be safe to ferrets is
prescribed.  If you take it upon yourself to determine how much of any
given herbal to give to your ferret, you run the risk of being entirely
WRONG about what is safe and what is not, and not only that, but that
which is safe for humans is not always safe for ferrets and vice versa.
You can't guess that body weight is enough to determine what a safe dose
might be.  It is a risk.  AND, if you use these herbals in combination
with any medications your vet may have prescribed, you run the further
risk of drug interaction.

However, Mary IS an expert in her field, and using HER advice, in
combination with your vet's advice, you may be able to safely and
effectively use herbals in the curing of your ferrets.  This is, I
believe, what Mary has suggested all along.  It isn't a matter of
do-it-yourselfing, and assuming you can, without expert advice, could
lead to dangerous or fatal consequences.

Melissa Kuzara
Mira, Robin, Samurai, Nietzsche and O'Dell
Missing Cael, Booboo and Tasha always