From:
"HARRISON,REGINA,MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 1996 11:33:18 EDT
Hi all--
Back when I brought Amelia home in December 94, I also purchased the Hagen
ferret kit, with its package of cedar shavings.  Since I'd read in Chuck and
Fox Martin's book that cedar caused respiratory problems in ferrets, I wrote
to Hagen to ask them if they were aware of this (an activist even before I
found the FML :-).  I received a letter back from Dr. Bauck, which denied
that cedar was harmful, and that she kept her own personal pet ferrets on
cedar.  Oddly enough, Hagen changed to pine within a year or so; I know I
wasn't the only one who wrote!  Hagen seems to produce great ferrets with it
appears fewer health problems than some of the bloodlines in the States, but
as a company they can't seem to admit that they were wrong about the
shavings.  Maybe they just want to make money off shaving sales-- they could
make more money by making special ferret sleeping sacks or something though.

On a brighter note-- Amelia turned into a badger ferret this week!  Her
facial markings tend to move around her head, and currently she has a
distinct white stripe starting just before her ears and extending back about
an inch or so.  All her guard hair has gone quite black as well-- during
shedding she had more brown to her coat.  What a cutie, if I do say so
meself :-)

Regina
Amelia (I radiate cuteness)
Cully (I can push full grown people off the sofa)