From:
Cynthia ritenour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2011 02:51:19 -0500
I find it interesting to contemplate animal language and communication.
I recently picked up a book titled* Bats Sing, Mice Giggle* by a couple
of folks doing research on just that...animal communication. It's a
fascinating read.....yeah, I know....who has time to read, but if all
else fails, my book is in the bathroom, and it goes to dr visits etc
with me. It takes a while to read that way, but I can think through
what they're saying when there are times I can't read more.....food for
thought... or squeeks and giggles. BTW, I often hear my ferrets do the
Heh, Heh, Heh, and find i hear the males more. Maybe they're louder? A
story about that.........

Dobbin, my 4 year old sable and his sidekick Zoe were romping the
house, and I got out the dog clippers to trim my cocker spaniel. They
were not scared of the trimmer noise, but preferred crawling under the
shower curtain draped across me as I sat on the floor to trim her.
(this keeps the fur off my floor) I have a mini shop vac that I then
suck the fur off the shower curtain. Any residual, gets shaken out the
back door and I reuse the curtain the next trim time.

Dobbin sniffs the shop vac.....unsure what this little red one gallon
thing with a vacuum hose on it is..... he's suspicious. He hates the
sound of the vacuum. I told him, "I'm gonna start it."...He looks at me
and the wheels are turning. I give a warning on/off quick noise. He
bolts and eyes me from under the sofa. From his safe vantage, he
patiently watches as I vacuum the fur up.Once I turn it off, life is
good, he goes back to playing under the shower curtain. I trim more. I
need to vacuum again. Just then Dobbie has come out to sniff the funny
red thing again. He sniffs, looks at me like, "what de heck, Mom?" and
sniffs again. I tell him, I'm gonna start it again." He looks at me,
then at the funny red thing. "It's gonna get noisy...." He looks at me,
then the little red noisy thing again. He saw me start to reach for the
switch....He must have figured out what I was saying, because next
thing I know he's running up the hall to the other room, "heh, heh,
heh-ing all the way. I busted out laughing, but ever since then, if I
warn him, he runs away before I start the little red noisy thing or the
vacuum.

Yes, they do understand more than we give them credit for....these
interesting little critters. I'd love to really know what they're
thinking sometimes......

Maybe we could actually get to tell them "Hey......poop on the paper,
not one inch away......" Looking forward to that day........

Cindy and the team of Slightly Used Ferrets

Life is a highway..enjoy the ride,.it's the journey that matters, all
roads have the same final destination