Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 08:44:13 -0600
I received a lot of e-mails re: The Easy Method of preparing Bob's Chicken
Gravy; mostly from people who are confused (as I used to be) on where to
find the original recipe, what the difference is between all the recipes
that people post, and what they are all for.

There are many recipes out there for feeding your ferret after surgery, or
when ill.  They have different ingredients in them aimed at helping the
ferret overcome his unique problem or illness.  Not everyone agrees on what
works the best.  When I began learning from all the people on this list,
I narrowed it down to the few that I trusted had the most knowledge and
experience.  Most of the duck soup recipes and variations of the original
Chicken Gravy recipe are administered to ferrets who have *special needs*,
or as Troy Lynn once put it, *for those who are sick or dying*.  The people
here use these formulas to feed their ferrets when they are not eating
their regular kibble or need something more.  There are some people who
just feed the gravy because they believe it is superior to the available
kibble out there.  Some just use it in addition to the kibble.

I have used some recipes following surgeries that are a great quick-fix for
the immediate problem.  Usually, the ingredients are expensive and do not
keep well in the fridge for more than two days.  These include special
canned supplements from the vet, and Gerber's Chicken and Gravy..(which is
wonderful, by the way, when they are off their food).  I have found that
the original recipe for Bob's Chicken Gravy is the best thing for long term
use.  It is full of things that help them get well, or to maintain their
health.  It is not a cure-all for illnesses.  There are no black and white
answers in the Land of Ferretdom, as, unfortunately, we have all learned.

Most of the new subscribers do not know how to use the archives.  (Troy
Lynn had to teach me)...It is confusing when it pops up and asks for
authors and dates..Click on *Search the Archives * which is available to
you in the heading of each daily FML.  When it comes up you will see a list
of dates...ignore them and click at the very top where you see *search the
archives* again.  You will then be presented with more choices.  Enter the
words Chicken Gravy in the very top box..(ignore the authors and dates
section for this).  Choose the fourth one down, ( Q and A on Bob's Chicken
Gravy) , and copy or print the recipe!

If your ferret is insulinomic, as my Fang WAS, you can leave out the
Ferretvite or Nutrical...I used to cut it down to one-third of a tube,
later to none when he became diabetic...again, it is a personal thing,
and depends on each individual circumstance.  I also increase the oatmeal,
and my vet and I thought the extra fiber would be good for Fang.  Use of
the honey for insulinomic ferrets is also controversial, although many
people on this list have decided the honey is safe considering the ratio
of honey to chicken.  I mistakenly posted once that it was only one
Tablespoon, but that was because that is all I am presently putting in
since I am on shaky ground with Fang's history of sugar swings.  If he
maintains his present health, I will increase the honey back to four
Tablespoons.

Fang eats the gravy as his main food, three to four times a day.  My
circumstance called for this, due to his kibble formula changing at the
same time he had undergone major surgery....he needed to get nutrients in
him, but hated the new Iams; a double whammy for us to deal with.  Bob's
Chicken Gravy was a Godsend (and so is Bob Church).  JUST MAKE IT THE EASY
WAY IN THE CROCK POT AND USE ICE CUBE TRAYS BEFORE THE BAGGIES!  One ice
cube, one serving.  Heat til hot, but not hot enough to burn tongue (stir
with your finger to test for hot spots).  Feed off finger at first, then
put dish in front of ferret.  A flat little dishes work best, as it keeps
gravy off of whiskers.  Wipe ferret chin afterwards if needed.

Good luck and happy tummies,
Liz and Fang ( "Mommy, get off the 'puter and gimme some gravy!")

[Moderator's note: Or you can send email to [log in to unmask]
In the body of the email type:
SEND CHICKEN GRAVY FERRET
and you'nn get it be return mail.  BIG]