Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 20:00:04 EDT
All of us would like to believe that we ALWAYS have our ferrets nails cut
short.  Some of us always do.

For those of us who have ferets that might possibly ever in their lives
have a long nail or nails--beware your bedding!!

A tight weave is what I look for for the safety of my animal.  The ferret
sleep sacks, and those luxuiously cashmere feeling baby blankets and fleece
seem good materials for comfort and safety.  Make sure they can be washed.

Wolf-who has passed- had surgeries that made it impossible to scruff him.
He tore off a nail and bled quite a bit from snagging his nail on my natty
textured bedding.  Another of my guys after major surgery pulled his nail
out and bled all over -snagging it on a loose knit woolen blanket on my
bed.  I was alerted by his screams of pain, and found his entire weight
dangling by a nail.

I have all new bedding now: made for people with allergies and tightly
woven and smooth for safety.  Look down the road when you purchase bedding
with the understanding that if your baby cannot have all his nails always
clipped for whatever reason-your choice of product for his bedding and
yours could be life threatening or injurious.

On MY way to bed.  Too tired to do my own nails.  :-)

Lisette