Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 21:41:09 EST
In yesterday's FML, Jaclyn posted about a possiblity that Iam's (now owned
by Proctor & Gamble) will be changing their ingredients, based on a pet
store employee's knowledge and/or opinion.

This concern was raised in our area (NC) too recently, after a pet store
employee said that Iam's will be downgraded, product-wise, so as to sell
in Wal-Mart, etc. cheaper to a local ferret owner.

Below is a snipped email response from a Proctor & Gamble representative
when one of our concerned club member's corresponded with them.
(Highlights: P&G state they are NOT changing the formula.)

****
"Dear Mr. ***,

Thanks for writing.  First, let me assure you we will not compromise the
quality of Iams or Eukanuba -- ever.  When we announced our plans to expand
the availability of Iams dog and cat foods this spring, we emphasized this
point, including in our news release (on pg.com).

You can continue to rely on Iams and Eukanuba for best-in-class nutrition
and quality.  We acquired Iams with every intention of continuing that
proud heritage, which fits with P&G's overall strategy of developing and
selling premium products of superior value.

Unfortunately, there has been some confusion.  We appreciate the
opportunity to clarify and will follow through with the Triangle Ferret
Lovers.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and the opportunity to address
your question.  <>

Sincerely,
Don Tassone
Proctor & Gamble"