From:
"H. R. Buckley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 1995 11:00:17 -0500
To Linda Doran
        Margaret has come up the the following name suggestions for your new
little one:
Suzu            Japanese for "little bell"
Fleurette       french for "little flower"
Fayette         from the old French "little"
Fanya           Russian for "free one"
Levina          from the old English "flash"
Scooter, skedadle
Shu             Egyptian god of the sky
Comet

To Edward with Ak and Copland
        We have a large (120lbs) German Shepard + Golden Lab + ??? We were
lucky. We got Spenser when he was a 7wk pup, and had two adult ferrets
(Smokey and Pixie) and shortly got our third ferret at 8wks (Boots). Since
Spenser was a puppy, he played with the ferrets quite well. The ferrets
trained him so well that now he identifies with them. Our problem is that
he likes the ferrets too much. He tries to pet them with his paws, and hug
them by scooping them under his neck when he is lying down. Needless to say
we have to be very careful letting a 120lb dog play with a 1.5 or 3lb ferret.
Lately the ferrets have become more wary of Spencer and try to avoid him.
Unless they can tease him by stealing his toys. Like any introduction, it
will take time. Our ferrets trained Spenser by nipping his upper lip when
he got too close. The results might be different with a more mature, dog
with territory to stake out. Take you time and be careful, they should in time
learn to respect (if not like) each other.

        I tried to introduce Pixie and Ping to each other yesterday. Wow!
I was holding Ping a few inches from Pixie who was on the floor. All was
quiet for a few seconds, a couple ferret blinks from each.. then screech,
lung, bite, shake, Pixie had Ping by the scruff, and Ping had Pixie by the
scruff. I grabbed each by the scruff and they let go. No damage, to anyone.
This will take some time too. It is a good thing we have our new larger
cage for Smokey, Pixie, and Boots. Ping is in their old cage, so they all
have lots of room until the three can accept the one.

        It is snowing here again, starting to look like winter after our
January thaw and rain.

Margaret, Richard
Smokey, Pixie, Boots, and Ping.